Evaluation

Ideas and Content

The ideas of this book are pretty clear. It’s mostly about aggression and family issues. An example from Ironman by Chris Crutcher is:
“‘You can’t know what it’s like to be completely disregarded, Bo,’ she said. ‘Maybe some of it has to do have volume, but when you lost football, it was a blessing. When Redmond took basketball from me, he stole my soul. I was young then, I was small. But I’m big now, and I can get it back.’”

Organization

Most of the book is in chronological order. Bo’s letters to Larry are in past tense and everything else is in present tense so it was a little confusing sometimes.

Voice

I don’t really know much about Mr. Crutcher, but from what I’ve decided he’s like this seems like something he would say:
“I’m able to endure these monster workouts because I welcome physical pain when struggles at school or home heat up. I understand physical pain; I can control it.”

Word Choice

Crutcher’s word choice in this book isn’t extraordinary. I wouldn’t expect it to be when most of the people talking are teenagers. One part that I liked was:
“‘Salt a couple more thousand away, and it’s yours,’ Lucas says. ‘A piece of machinery like this has to be earned.’Bo smiles. ‘Yeah, I guess so. No chance of somebody just plopping one of those babies in your lap.’”

Sentence Fluency

Most of the sentences in the book flow smoothly, unless Crutcher didn’t want them too. Like if someone couldn’t find the right words.

Conventions

All the conventions are right.

Presentation

There is a biker on the cover. I think it’s a good picture because it captures what the book is about.

No comments: